Wednesday, July 14, 2010

This was the highest summit we encountered on our trip to Wyoming.  Our truck wasn't as impressed with the climb and boiled over a bit.  It took 30 minutes to cool down so we could continue.

What a view from up here!
We did as much reconnaissance as possible before the trip, so we were prepared for what would come along.  We knew about this drop off area.

This is a 2-3 foot drop that we had to go over on our river kayak trip.  Rex had no problem.  He sailed over it like a pro.  Then came me . . . it started well but the landing was a bust.  I dumped myself out and Rex had to help hold the kayak until I could get back on it.

More of the beauty . . . near the Salt River in Wyoming.
The next pic is where were going around a sharp curve that you can see in the pic, and a bull moose was right there in front of us, and started to charge dad, but he maneuvered away quickly.  I was right behind and saw it just in time to also get out of the way.  It was huge and very beautiful.  The river moves way too fast to take pictures in most of the places, so we didn't get one of it.  DARN!


Around another extreemly sharp curve we encoutered this nice little buck deer.  Rex was so determined to get a picture of this deer, it almost cost him his life!  I'll explain after the rest of the deer pics.


What Rex didn't realize that while he was shooting these pictures, the river took up speed like crazy.  At another sharp curve to the right (and we had to go right) there was a large tree that went three quarters across the river.  The next thing I saw was my sweet husband going head first into a tree trunk.  Then amazingly he surfaced on the other side of the tree, and his kayak was pinned under the tree.  It followed right after him, but couldn't go under or over the tree.  I was lucky to have made it through the small opening to the right and grabed a large limb and held on , so I wouldn't go down river without Rex.  It took Rex half an hour to dislodge the kayak, partly because it was full of water and weighed a ton.  Rex came out of it with only a hurt pride and anger because of the loss of sunglasses, and water logged digital camera, phone, and  wallet.  This was a class 2-3 river trip that was 6-8 miles long.  It was by far my hardest river trip but not for Rex.  We had a great time even with the mishap, and are very greatful to be alive and able to do it again before we get too old.  It's not getting any easier.

LESSON LEARNED

What did I learn from this experience? I learned there are times in our lives when we have no control over what happens, and have to just put it in the hands of the Lord. And because of these times we need to be prepared, by having regular and frequent prayers, and trying our best to keep the commandments of God, and serving others. Rex and I have been trying very hard, even though I know I need to do more. We are far from perfect, but we are trying to improve our relationship with God. I have no doubt that Rex would have been seriously injured, if not killed, had the Lord not intervened. It was as though He wrapped His arms around Rex and pushed him under the tree and up the other side. Our miracle can’t be explained away by saying he went under the tree in just the right place, and his kayak just didn’t happen to stab him in the process. There was nothing I could have done to help Rex if he was injured. The river was running just too fast for me to have been able to cross it in my kayak. I know that God loves his children and there are times when He spares us death or being injured just to remind us that He is here for us, if we just ask, and TRY to do what He asks of us. We don’t have to be perfect, just willing to keep trying to better ourselves. I also know I can’t expect that kind of help if I go about my business day after day and don’t keep the commandments, and only remember to say my prayers when I am in trouble or have a big problem. I will spend more time in my prayers being grateful to my Heavenly Father for all my blessings; especially for the privilege of having my husband for awhile longer.


3 comments:

Lara said...

We are grateful you guys are alive too! Sounds like quite an adventure. Gorgeous pictures!!

Cheryl said...

Wow, what a fun time!! Glad you made it home with only a few bumps and bruises.

Julie said...

Glad that you are both ok!! It sure is easy to explain away miracles, isn't it? Good for you for seeing it as it was...MIRACULOUS!
Gorgeous pictures, great story!!