Did all of you girls get to attend Women's Conference? Outside of going to Eva's Grand Parents Day, it was the best part of my week. What a beautiful message about ministering to the needs of others. The first thing that came to my mind was, am I paying close enough attention to my own spiritual needs. Am I really spiritually prepared to stand steadfast against satan's onslaught. I think I need to spend a little more time studying the scriptures than I do, so I'll be more intune to hear those promptings to be of service to others. Our stake like those all over the world, completed many projects for humanitarian aid. I like what President Hinckley said in the pamphlet Pure Religion,"Think what would happen if the principles of fast day and the fast offering were observed throughout the world. The hungry would be fed, the naked clothed, the homeless sheltered. The giver would not suffer but would be blessed by his small abstinence. A new measure of concern and unselfishness would grow in the hearts of people everywhere". I sometimes think we as women have no idea of how much we could influence the world to change for the better. If every Relief Society sister throughout the world took to heart Pres. Hinckley's statement. Then husbands would follow, children would follow, others would see the benefits and follow as well. I have never been one to start some great movement, but it might be fun to try it in my own town, group, or block. I could ask others (non-members or less active) to contribute to the humanitarian aid project through donating money they would spend on two meals, or ask them to help me with special projects for the cause. I have more time than you young mothers, but I know we all could make a difference and there are thousands of ways to do it. Some as simple as being a listening ear for another, or a smile given to a stranger. The conference made me aware that I can do more.
Sunday, September 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Mom-
I have always used you as the perfect example of being able to see what somebody needs and then jumping in without question. That is a gift that you have. I am willing to do what I am asked to do, but have trouble seeing what may be needed on my own. That is what I took away from that meeting. Sis. Beck said that we should be better than anybody else in faith, family, and relief. My goal is to work that backwards...being involved in relief will strengthen my family and ultimately my faith. I've been trying to go the opposite (faith, family, relief) and I don't quite get to the relief part very often! I can't wait until next week-end. I always feel like I am being spoken to directly! Have a great Sunday!!
Thank you Julie, but you girls have all taught me many great lessons by the ways you teach and love your families. You are all talented daughters that I can be proud of.
I ditto Julie. Mom, you were always the perfect example of how/ when/where to serve others. If I could only implement that in my life a little better than I'd be a better person.
Post a Comment